Introducing the Policy Guides
Delta 8.7 aims to help policymakers understand the “effective measures” to end forced labour, modern slavery, human trafficking and child labour that Member States committed to take by 2030 as stated in SDG Target 8.7. Since the platform’s launch in September 2018 we have worked to improve policy actors’ access to reliable data and information about “what works”. This has included the development of country dashboards, a Forum for exchange on recent research and evidence, and introductory Thematic Overviews.
Between now and March 2021 Delta 8.7 will be developing three “Policy Guides”, which will replace these Thematic Overviews. Where the Thematic Overviews aimed to provide policy actors with a simple way into recent evidence and thinking on a specific aspect of SDG 8.7 exploitation or responses to it, the Policy Guides have a slightly more ambitious goal: to provide a snapshot of “what works” to achieve SDG 8.7.
These Policy Guides will be published by the end of March 2021, each seeking to identify the mix of multilateral and national policies needed to accelerate progress towards SDG 8.7 in one of three broad policy domains:
- Justice – including criminal and civil justice, survivor engagement and support, including the role of the health sector;
- Markets – including all aspects of economic, trade and financial policy, including supply chains and development policy;
- Crisis – including conflict, humanitarian and crisis response, as well as migration.
The audience for these guides, is specifically, multilateral and national-level policymakers. We are not seeking to dictate to policymakers how they should organize to achieve Target 8.7—because that requires an understanding of the specific problems in each country, the resources available to tackle them, and other contextual factors. Instead, we are seeking to provide an evidence-based policy resource that is useful across contexts, and to policy actors around the world, including those thinking about multilateral policy frameworks.
We aim to conduct an open, transparent and highly credible drafting process that combines rigorous scientific review and evidence with policy acumen. To this effect in addition to convening three global expert working groups who will be responsible for developing these guides, Delta 8.7, between now and March 2021, will hold three public consultations:
- Public Consultation on the Process and Call for Nominations
- Public Submission of evidence
- Public Consultation on draft Policy Guides
For this first public consultation you can participate/contribute in one or more of the following ways:
1) Apply to join one of the three global expert Working Groups
If you are interested in applying:
- Please consult the Policy Guide Concept Note which lays out the plan for the guides in its entirety.
- Read FAQ’s here.
- Fill in this application form and submit your C.V.
The deadline for submissions is: June 17th
If you have any questions please contact: Angharad Smith – email@example.com
2) Comment on Policy Guide Concept Note
Delta 8.7 is inviting feedback on the Policy Guide Concept Note.
Please get in touch with Angharad Smith – firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments and suggestions on the process.
The deadline for feedback is: June 17th